Super easy “mummy” Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Rice Krispie Treats.
The perfect treat to bring to a Halloween party!
I have a treat today!
Seriously, an actual treat. Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Rice Krispie Treats, to be specific.
I feel like it’s been a while since we’ve chatted about indulgent goodies around here, so we most definitely deserve this post! Plus, Halloween is in a couple of weeks and this recipe can easily be converted into the cutest spooky little mummies.
Rice krispie treats are one of my guiltiest pleasures. They remind me of when I was younger and calories didn’t count. I even went through a stage in high school where I bought the Double Chocolatey Chunk Rice Krispies treats for lunch EVERY.SINGLE.DAY.
The store bought ones are nowhere as good as the ones you make at home. You know the drill – crunchy puffed rice cereal coated with melted butter and marshmallows. Ughhh can I be 9 years old again stuffing my face with rice krispie treats while watching the newest episode of Boy Meets World?!
I don’t make or eat rice krispie treats that often any more, mainly because skinny jeans are still trending, but when I do make them, I dress them up with a layer of cookie dough … I know, I’m so extra.
Getting into the Halloween spirit, it was only appropriate that I turned these rice krispie treats into fun and spooky mummies. I mean seriously, look how cute they are! And so easy to make. All you need is some melted white chocolate and a few mini chocolate chips and I guarantee your house will be the most popular on Halloween night.
- 3 tbsp butter
- 16 oz mini marshmallows
- ½ tsp salt
- 6 cups puffed rice cereal
- 1½ sticks butter (6 oz), room temperature
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ⅓ cup sugar
- 3 tbsp milk
- 1 /2 tsp vanilla
- 2¼ cups flour
- ¾ tsp salt
- 1 cup mini chocolate chips
- 1 11-oz bag high quality white chocolate chips
- mini chocolate chips
- Add the butter in a large pot, and melt over medium heat. When melted, reduce the heat to low and whisk in marshmallows. Once the mixture has completely melted, stir in salt and puffed rice cereal.
- Line a 9 x 13 inch pan with parchment paper. Press the puffed rice mixture into the pan and let set for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, make cookie dough by creaming softened butter with sugars in a medium bowl with an electric mixer. Once pale and fluffy, add milk, vanilla, salt, and flour. Mix until dough forms. Fold in chocolate chips.
- Spread cookie dough over set puffed rice mixture. Refrigerate 30 minutes, or until cookie dough sets.
- Slice into squares before serving.
- To make mummies, melt white chocolate chips in double boiler.
- Dip rice krispie treats into the melted white chocolate, making sure to coat all sides. Place on a parchment lined baking sheet. Place treats in refrigerator for 5 minutes for chocolate to set.
- Fill a small zip top bag with remaining melted chocolate. Snip a tiny bit off one of the bottom corners. Drizzle chocolate over treats in a zig-zag patten to create "mummy" look. Add 2 mini chocolate chips for eyes and return to refrigerator for another 5 minutes. Serve, or store in an air tight container for up to 1 week.