The warmth of the ginger combined with the sweetness of the sweet potato gives this Sweet Potato and Zucchini Soup with Curried Sunflower Seeds a deep, complex flavor. (vegan, GF, Paleo)
Meet my new favorite soup.
Ginger Sweet Potato and Zucchini Soup with Curried Sunflower Seeds.
Seriously. I’ve made this soup three in the past week because its just THAT good.
It’s a comforting, silky smooth soup full of flavor that is oh so satisfying and very healthy. It’s even accidentally vegan and suitable for any diet!
This sweet potato and zucchini soup is rich since it’s pureed but also light since there is no cream or flour. It has a little kick from the fresh ginger and fresh cracked black pepper.
It starts with some onions, sweet potato, zucchini, and ginger which cook in veggie broth for about 30 minutes. Then everything gets blended until it is silky and smooth and just perfect.
You can use an immersion blender if you’d like, but I prefer carefully pouring my soup into my Vitamix blender. I find that my Vitamix creates the most amazing texture for this soup.
For the topping, I like to add some crunch. Curried roasted sunflower seeds add a great texture and the flavor … well it pairs perfectly with the ginger. You can also do curried almonds, pumpkin seeds, or even some croutons.
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 large sweet potato, peeled and cubed (about 1¼ lb)
- 1 medium zucchini, skin removed and cubed (about 9 oz)
- 1 tbsp fresh ginger, minced
- 4 cups vegetable stock
- salt and pepper to taste
- ⅓ cup sunflower seeds
- 1 tsp oil
- ½ tsp curry powder
- chopped parsley, for topping
- Heat oil in a heavy bottomed sauce pan over medium high heat. Add the chopped onion and saute until soft, about 5 minutes. Add sweet potato, zucchini, and ginger. Cook 3-4 minutes.
- Add stock and bring to a boil. Cover and reduce heat to medium low. Cook 25-30 minutes, or until sweet potatoes are soft. Add salt and pepper.
- Carefully transfer soup to blender and puree on high until silky smooth.
- Serve immediately with curry roasted sunflower seeds and chopped parsley.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. In a small bowl, combine sunflower seeds, oil, and curry powder. Toss to combine, making sure sunflower seeds are well coated. Transfer mixture to a parchment lined baking sheet and roast 15-20 minutes, or until fragrant and golden brown. Remove from oven and allow to cool. Set aside until ready to serve.