The perfect, no-fuss fall dessert. This healthy Whole Wheat Cinnamon Apple Sheet Cake with Maple glaze is moist, full of apple flavor, and so easy to make.
Prepare to make your taste buds and nose extremely happy.
I can’t believe it’s almost Thanksgiving and this is the first apple recipe I made. Apples are definitely Fall’s favorite fruit and I seem to have neglected them this year.
For my first (and most definitely not the last) apple recipe, I wanted to make something simple and easy. I got into the kitchen and whipped up this Apple Sheet Cake with Maple Glaze.
I love layer cakes … but sheet cakes are SOO easy and just as delicious. Sometimes I just don’t have the patience for slicing perfectly leveled layers, crumb coats, final frostings, and decorating. Sometimes, I just want to enjoy a piece of cake as quick as possible with no hassle.
Sheet cakes are also very easy to transport. I don’t know about you guys, but I visit a lot of family and friends this time of year and I don’t like showing up empty handed. And who doesn’t appreciate a delicious and fragrant cake.
So, the Apple Cake.
Its delicious. The cake is not-too sweet, moist, and filled with juicy cinnamon apple chunks. The maple glaze adds the right amount of sweetness and completes the look of the cake (not to mention its super easy to cover thanks to the whole sheet-thing).
Oh, did I mention that your waistline wont hate you for eating a piece of this cake? Yes, this cake is actually pretty healthy for you thanks to the olive oil, whole wheat flour, and APPLES. You can enjoy a piece and still fit into your favorite skinny jeans.
Unless you eat the whole cake. Which isn’t impossible. Because a little piece here, and a little piece there. Let’s just say it adds up quickly.
This cake is also perfect for any occasion. Apple cake for breakfast with coffee. For lunch with more coffee. After dinner? And a piece before bed with a warm glass of milk. There go those skinny jeans …
This Whole Wheat Apple Cake is everything. You need this sweet, cinnamon, apple, maple-y goodness in your house today. ♡
- 3 apples (I used Granny Smith), cut into ¼-1/2-inch pieces
- 1 tbsp unsalted butter
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 3 tsp cinnamon, separated
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- ¾ cup olive oil
- ½ cup + 1 tbsp sugar
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 1 cup milk
- 3 eggs
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 2 red apples (I used honey crisp), thinly sliced with seeds removed
- ½ cup powdered sugar
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tbsp milk
- Preheat oven to 350° F. Lightly grease a 9 x 13-inch pan.
- Melt butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Once butter is melted, add apple pieces, sugar, and 1 tsp cinnamon. Cook until apples slightly soften (about 3-5 minutes). Remove from heat and set aside.
- In a medium size bowl, whisk together flours, remaining cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat eggs, oil, and sugars until pale. Stir in milk and vanilla.
- Add dry ingredients to egg mixture. Mix until just combined.
- Gently fold in apples. Pour batter into prepared pan. Arrange apple slices over batter.
- Bake 25-30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean (a couple of crumbs are fine!)
- Make the glaze by whisking powdered sugar, maple syrup, and milk until well combined. Pour glaze over warm cake.