This alcoholic Naughty Hot Chocolate with Vodka Spiked Marshmallows is rich, delicious, and the perfect drink for those cold winter nights when you need both booze and chocolate.
I’ve got your new favorite Christmas drink.
With lotsss of chocolate, coconut milk, and topped with homemade marshmallows. Oh yeah, and to make it even better, I spike the hot chocolate and marshmallows with Absolut Elyx Vodka. Because it’s December, and we almost made it through 2017, and we most definitely deserve to be a little naughty!
This may be the best drink I ever made. It’s like drinking a glass of dessert. Plus, there’s alcohol, so it’s a win/win.
The base of the hot cocoa is coconut milk. Canned coconut milk makes for the most decadent hot chocolate. Trust me on this one. Even if you aren’t a fan of coconut, use the coconut milk. It’s so creamy, smooth and perfect.
And the marshmallows. Obviously, you don’t have to make these, but I highly suggest you should. Homemade marshmallows are way easier than you think. Plus, you can add whatever you want to them when you make them yourself. You know, like vodka or vanilla beans.
It is 100% totally worth it.
- 2 cans coconut milk
- 3 tbsp cocoa powder
- 3 tbsp sugar
- pinch of salt
- 4 oz high quality chocolate, chopped (I like to use a blend of dark chocolate and milk chocolate)
- 4 oz vodka, I like Absolut Elyx
- Add coconut milk in a large saucepan over medium heat. Whisk in cocoa powder, sugar, and salt. Bring to a simmer, stirring every few minutes, do not let it boil. Turn down the heat, and whisk in the chopped chocolate. Whisk continuously until smooth. Remove from heat and stir in the vodka.
- Serve warm with spiked marshmallows.
- 3 tbsp gelatin (3 packets)
- ⅓ cup cold water
- 3 cups sugar
- 1½ cup water
- 1½ tsp vanila or vanilla bean paste
- ¼ cup vodka
- ¾ cup powdered sugar, sifted
- Line an 8-x8-inch pan with parchment. Spray lightly with cooking spray.
- Add ⅓ cup of cold water in a bowl. Sprinkle gelatin on top and allow the mixture to sit 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, place the sugar and 1½ cups water in a large saucepan over medium heat and cook, until the sugar dissolves, stirring constantly. Add the gelatin mixture and stir to dissolve.
- Bring the mixture to a simmer and cook without stirring for 15 minutes.
- Pour mixture into the bowl of an electric mixer and allow to cool until lukewarm. Once cooled, stir in vanilla and vodka.
- Beat the mixture with the whisk attachment on high until thick and fluffy, about 10-15 minutes.
- Scrape the mixture into the prepared pan and smooth out the top. Let set at room temperature for at least 8 hours or overnight.
- Cut into 1-in cubes. Toss cut marshmallows in powdered sugar.