Moist and lightly sweetened Skinny Banana Bread – made with bananas, coconut oil, cinnamon, and whole wheat flour.
Earlier this week was National Banana Bread Day (February 23), so sharing one of my many Banana Bread recipes with you seems like the right thing to do.
I always have bananas on hand. They are a dependable, easy snack and make a nice addition to smoothies, a bowl of cereal, oatmeal, and toast. But as soon as they start getting covered in brown spots, my appetite for them dies out. Sound familiar to you?
Banana bread is probably my favorite no-waste foods. It’s the perfect way to use over ripened bananas that have been taking up space in your fruit bowl for way too long. As a banana ripens, its starches change from complex carbohydrates to simple sugars. This change makes it easier for us to digest bananas and enhances the sweetness of the fruit. SIDE NOTE: The simple carbohydrates in an over ripened banana can cause blood sugar to rise quicker, so diabetics should opt for yellow instead of bananas that have began to spot.
When baking with bananas, it’s best to use the brownest, mushiest, ripest bananas that everyone avoids – the sad ugly fruit that was once an appealing yellow banana can transform baked goods into something magical. The overly mature bananas provide a rich flavor and moist texture to banana bread. There are so many different variations of banana bread, which is honestly more of a cake. Skinny Banana Bread is one of my favorite healthier versions.
This recipe is a healthier take on the classic old school recipe. It is lightly sweet with healthy fats, and fewer calories making this banana bread appropriate to eat for breakfast, dessert, or as a mid-day snack.
So, next time you are stuck with spotty bananas, don’t throw them out! With a few simple ingredients, you are only steps away from a warm and delicious Banana Bread.
- ⅓ cup melted coconut oil
- ¼ cup honey
- ¼ cup pure maple syrup
- 2 eggs
- 3 large bananas, mashed
- ¼ cup buttermilk, or any milk of your choice
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1¾ cups whole wheat pastry flour
- optional ½ cup chopped walnuts, chocolate chips, raisins, or any other add ins you like
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and grease a 9 x 5-inch loaf pan.
- In a large bowl, whisk coconut oil, honey, and maple syrup. Beat in eggs. Whisk in mashed bananas and milk.
- Add baking soda, salt, and cinnamon. Whisk well to make sure all ingredients are distributed.
- With a wooden spoon or rubber spatula, gently fold in flour. Make sure you don't over mix - a few lumps are ok!
- Pour batter into greased pan and bake 55-60 minutes.
- Let cool in pan for 10 minutes before transferring to a wire rack.
- Cool 15 more minutes before slicing.