Ordinary potato salad gets a sexy makeover with this Spicy Harissa Potato Salad – lightened up with Greek yogurt and loaded with lots of fresh flavors.
Spring is just around the corner … unless you’re in New York City where its 70 degrees one day and a blizzard the next.
Potato salads are spring/summer BBQ staple. Don’t get me wrong, I love a good mayo-based potato salad but sometimes the salad is drenched in WAY too much mayonnaise, making it impossible to eat.
To make an ordinary potato salad more exciting, I’m adding color, spice, and a kick of tanginess. Sweet potatoes break the white-color scheme and add a delightful sweetness. Greek yogurt is a much lighter option to the traditional mayo. Harissa, cumin, and paprika provide a subtle kick of spice and a fun twist of flavors. Freshly squeezed lemon and parsley pull the whole thing together to create a bright and fresh tasting potato salad.
- 1 large sweet potato, peeled
- 1 lb red potatoes
- ½ red onion, diced
- ¼ cup fresh parsley, chopped
- ¼ cup Greek yogurt
- juice of 1 lemon
- 1 tsp Harissa
- ½ tsp cumin
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp paprika
- salt and pepper
- Add potatoes to a large pot and cover with cold water. Bring to a boil and continue cooking for 15-20 minutes until the potatoes are fork tender (make sure not to overcook the potatoes).
- Drain the water from the potatoes and cut them into pieces. Place in a bowl to cool.
- While the potatoes are cooling, combine the yogurt, lemon juice, and spices in a small bowl.
- In a large bowl, combine potatoes, red onion, parsley. and yogurt mixture. Toss gently to combine. Season with salt and pepper.