A hearty and incredibly healthy, comforting soup made in 30 minutes – full of fresh kale, brown rice, and ground turkey.
There is always that one food that is hard to estimate how much will be eaten. For me, it’s rice. I always tend to make more rice than we can eat so I am always stuck with leftovers. There are so many different things you can make with leftover rice – casseroles, soups, and of course rice pudding. Lately, one of my favorite creations is this guilt-free Turkey Kale Soup. It’s perfect for those cold winter nights when you are craving warm comfort food. The tartness from fresh squeezed lemons combined with the slightly spicy hint from cayenne pepper is sure to warm you up.
Made with lean ground turkey, wholesome brown rice, and tender kale, this soup is guilt-free so you can indulge in seconds!
Not only is this a low calorie meal, but this soup will also help keep your immune system strong during those cold dreary months. Turmeric provides anti-inflammatory benefits and can help cure the winter blues due to its anti-depressant properties. This soup is a vitamin C powerhouse. Lemon, kale, and red peppers provide an incredible amount of antioxidants. A single serving each of red bell pepper and kale provide almost four times the amount of vitamin C than an orange! Red peppers and kale are also an excellent source of vitamin A, which is beneficial for eye health. Kale also packs seven times the recommended daily amount of vitamin K along with important minerals and fatty acids.
This soup is so easy to whip up. You basically just dump everything in the pot and let all the flavors combine. The end result – a delicious and nutritious soup that will leave you craving for seconds.
- Serves: 6 servings
- Serving size: ⅙
- Calories: 280
- Fat: 8 g
- Saturated fat: 2 g
- Trans fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 28 g
- Sugar: 7 g
- Sodium: 330 mg
- Fiber: 4 g
- Protein: 20 g
- Cholesterol: 58 mg
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 red onion, chopped
- 3 medium carrots, cut into ½-inch pieces
- 1 large red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 lb ground turkey
- 2 tsp no-salt seasoning *
- 1 tsp turmeric
- ½ tsp red pepper flakes
- dash of cayenne
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 1 15-oz can fire roasted crushed tomatoes
- 1½ cup cooked brown rice
- 1 small bunch of kale, roughly chopped (about 4 cups)
- 2 lemons, juiced
- Heat the oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add onion, carrots, and red bell pepper. Saute, stirring frequently, until the vegetables begin to soften, about 8-10 minutes.
- Add the ground turkey, and cook until meat begins to turn white.
- Add spices and herbs and cook for an additional minute.
- Add chicken broth, tomatoes, and rice. Bring to a boil.
- Stir in kale and lemon juice. Cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes.
- Ladle the soup into bowls and serve.