Mexican flavored 30-Minute Healthy Chicken Tortilla Soup is warm, hearty, and perfect for chilly days.
Today is the perfect day for soup!
30-Minute Healthy Tortilla Soup, that is.
This Mexican-flavored soup is warm, hearty, and perfect for freezing cold winter days.
The soup comes together in 30 minutes and is very versatile. You can use shredded rotisserie chicken, or saute chopped chicken in the pot. If you are vegetarian, skip the chicken all together and use veggie broth. Brown rice and white rice both work great, or you can opt for quinoa for an extra protein kick. And finally, for a lower carb soup, omit the grains completely.
My favorite thing about this soup is all of the toppings. Be sure to top off the soup with lots & lots of avocado, cilantro, jalapeno, lime, and crunchy tortilla chips!
- 2 tbsp olive oil, divided
- 1 lb skinless boneless chicken breast, cut into bite size pieces
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 jalapenos, seeded and minced
- 3 tbsp flour (use gluten free in needed)
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- 2 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp oregano
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ¼ tsp cinnamon (optional, but recommended)
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 8-10 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1½ cups cooked rice (or quinoa)
- salt and pepper, to taste
- juice of 1 lime
- Toppings: sliced avocado, chopped cilantro, sliced jalapeno, lime, tortilla chips*
- Add 1 tbsp olive oil to a large heavy bottom pot over medium high heat. Add chicken and cook through. Remove chicken from pot and set aside.
- Add remaining oil to pot and saute onions, garlic, and jalapenos until soft, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in flour and cook 1 minute.
- Add chili powder, cumin, oregano, garlic powder, cinnamon, tomato paste, and apple cider vinegar. Stir to combine.
- Add cooked chicken and broth to pot and bring to a boil. Once boiling, stir in cooked rice and cook an additional 2 minutes. Season with salt and pepper, to taste and finish off with juice of 1 lime.
- Serve warm with toppings.
- To make your own tortillas, cut 4-5 soft corn tortillas into triangles. Arrange in a single layer on a baking sheet and lightly drizzle with oil. Sprinkle salt and bake at 350 degrees F for 7-10 minutes, or until crispy.