20-minute Kale and Roasted Cashew Fried Rice – extremely easy, super healthy, and SO delicious.
Kale and Roasted Cashew Fried Rice
Fried rice is one of my favorite foods to make at home. It comes together in under 20 minutes, and you can pretty much add whatever you want in it. The trick to getting the perfect toasty and semi-crispy rice is to use cold rice, so fried rice is always my go to whenever I have leftover rice in the refrigerator.
This fried rice is made with brown basmati rice, lots of kale, and roasted cashews. Think fried rice from your favorite Thai restaurant, but made at home … and tastier … and healthier.
It makes a great lunch and an even better dinner! I like to stir fry some chicken, shrimp, or even steak and toss it in the mix – it’s SO delicious.
- 3 cups cooked Brown Basmati Rice, chilled
- 2 tbsp olive oil or coconut oil, divided
- 1 small onion, chopped
- ½ red bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 2 medium carrots, diced
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp fresh grated ginger
- ½ - 1 tsp chili flakes
- 6 oz kale, chopped
- 3 tbsp low sodium soy sauce
- black pepper, to taste
- ¾ cup unsalted and roasted cashews, roughly chopped
- optional ½ tbsp sesame oil
- In a large skillet or wok, heat 1 tbsp oil over medium heat. Cook onions until translucent.
- Add carrots and red pepper. Cook 2 minutes, or until tender. Add garlic, ginger, and chili flakes. Stir in kale and cook until wilted. Remove veggies from skillet.
- Heat the remaining tablespoon of oil in the skillet. Add rice, soy sauce, and pepper. Stir to combine 3-4 minutes, to fry the rice.
- Stir in vegetable mixture and roasted cashews.
- Optional: Drizzle sesame oil and mix to combine.
- Serve warm