White chocolate coconut filling is layered between three layers of tender coconut almond cake – this White Chocolate Coconut Layer Cake is an all-time favorite!
Happy Valentine’s Day!
What are your plans for today? Steve and I decided to stay home tonight and go out tomorrow – this way, we don’t have to stress over reservations or choosing a restaurant with the best pre-fixe menu.
Since we are staying in, I thought I would make my Valentine a sweet treat. [enter: White Chocolate Coconut Almond Layer Cake]
When it comes to cakes, 9/10 times I would choose a rich, dark chocolate cake over anything else, unless this cake is an option.
The first time I had a white chocolate coconut cake was at the Ritz Carlton in Charlotte, North Carolina. OMG you guys!!! This cake was AMAZING. Literally, heaven in cake form. As soon as I got back home, I just had to recreate it. After a few trials, I came pretty close to the real deal.
And here it is!
The cake itself is not too sweet and has a slight coconut flavor. It has almond flour and coconut milk which keep it very moist and tender.
I baked my cake layers in 6-inch pans because I wanted a smaller cake for the occasion. You can make 3 7-inch cake layers and adjust the baking time. (see recipe below for baking times)
The filling to this cake is also the frosting. It is made with coconut milk, white chocolate, coconut flakes, cream cheese, and powdered sugar. I might have eaten the leftover frosting with giant spoon. oops.
This is the perfect cake for Valentine’s Day or any occasion, really – Mother’s Day, birthdays, engagement parties … and it’s even great to make on a random weekday, just because.
- 5 egg whites
- ½ cup milk
- 1 tbsp coconut flavoring, optional
- 2½ cups flour
- 1 cup almond flour
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 cup butter, room temperature
- 1½ cups coconut milk
- 1 can coconut milk
- 1 cup coconut flakes, unsweetened
- 7 oz white chocolate, chopped
- 16 oz cream cheese, room temperature
- ¾ cup powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Grease and flour 3 6-in cake pans. (see notes for using different size pans)
- In a medium size bowl, whisk together egg whites, milk, and coconut flavoring. Set aside.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, add flour, almond flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt. Mix on low speed to combine.
- Add softened butter and coconut milk. Beat until just combined.
- Add egg white mixture and mix until incorporated.
- Pour batter into prepared pans and bake 25-30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Remove cake pans from oven and cool on cooling rack for 10 minutes. Remove cakes from pans and let cool completely.
- While the cake is baking, prepare the filling: Add coconut milk and coconut flakes in a medium sauce pan and heat over medium low heat. Cook 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. The mixture will thicken.
- Remove from heat and stir in white chocolate until incorporated. Transfer mixture to a bowl, cover with plastic wrap, and refrigerate until completely chilled.
- Once chilled, remove coconut mixture from the fridge. Beat in cream cheese and powdered sugar.
- To assemble the cake, place on cake layer on a cake stand. Add about 1 cup of frosting and spread evenly. Repeat with remaining layers. Spread the remaining frosting on the sides and top of the cake.
- Refrigerate until ready to serve!